Stewart Achieves Perfect Season with Dominating Steel City Victory: Dungey Takes Third Win of the Season in AMA Motocross Lites
DELMONT, Pa. (August 30, 2008) – As the 2008 AMA Toyota Motocross Championship Presented by FMF season came to a close, Monster Energy Kawasaki’s James Stewart, of Haines City, Fla., made history after earning his record-tying 12th victory of the season at the inaugural American Motocross Festival. Stewart went 24-0 in motos this season to become only the second rider in the history of the sport to accomplish the feat. Additionally, he joined Ricky Carmichael as a Monster Energy/Kawasaki Triple Crown of Motocross winner.
“For me, it was (a relief for the season to be over),” explained Stewart, who led 369 of the 382 laps completed this season. “After the last few (years) I’ve had in outdoors, I’ve had a really tough time finishing the season. It was just a lot of weight lifted off my shoulders, especially after coming off the surgery.”
Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Timmy Ferry, of Largo, Fla., finished second overall with a pair of runner-up moto finishes while Factory Yamaha’s Broc Hepler, of Kittanning, Pa., earned his first career AMA Motocross Class podium with third overall at his home track.
In AMA Motocross Lites, Rockstar/Makita Suzuki’s Ryan Dungey, of Belle Plaine, Minn., cruised to back-to-back moto victories en route to his third overall win of the season.
“To get both moto wins was awesome,” said Dungey, who has won three of the last four events. “I almost led every lap too. I haven’t really had that (chance) to be out front and it was just a great experience to do that.”
Rockstar/Makita Suzuki’s Nico Izzi, of Saint Clair, Mich., posted a career best second overall after finishing fifth and second in the day’s motos. GEICO Powersports Honda’s Jake Weimer, of Rupert, Idaho, rounded out the overall podium with sixth and third place moto results.
Television coverage of the Monster Energy/Kawasaki Steel City National can be seen on SPEED, with an AMA Motocross show on September 6 at 10 p.m. ET and an AMA Motocross Lites broadcast on September 9 at 2 p.m. ET.
AMA Toyota Motocross Championship Presented by FMF
Monster Energy/Kawasaki Steel City National
Steel City Raceway – Delmont, Pa.
August 30, 2008
Round 12 of 12
Motocross (Moto Finish)
1. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Kawasaki, 1-1
2. Tim Ferry, Largo, Fla., Kawasaki, 2-2
3. Broc Hepler, Kittanning, Pa., Yamaha, 3-3
4. Michael Byrne, Newnan, Ga., Suzuki, 4-4
5. Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda, 5-7
6. Jimmy Albertson, Ozark, Mo., Honda, 7-6
7. Sean Hamblin, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha, 6-9
8. Josh Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Yamaha, 11-5
9. Ivan Tedesco, Tallahassee, Fla., Honda, 9-8
10. Matt Boni, Geneva, Fla., Honda, 13-11
Motocross Class Point Standings
1. James Stewart, Haines City, Fla., Kawasaki, 600
2. Timmy Ferry, Largo, Fla., Kawasaki, 414
3. Andrew Short, Smithville, Teas., Honda, 392
4. Michael Byrne, Newman, Ga., Suzuki, 377
5. Cody Cooper, Tallahassee, Fla., Suzuki, 266
6. Nick Wey, Dewitt, Mich., KTM, 264
7. Josh Hill, Yoncalla, Ore., Yamaha, 234
8. Jeff Alessi, Victorville, Calif., Honda, 233
9. Sean Hamblin, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha, 225
10. Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., Suzuki, 221
Comments are closed.