Yamaha continues to invest in the two-stroke market and the 2023 Yamaha YZ125X received its first major update since the cross country models introduction a fews years back. If you are familiar with the current YZ125 motocross model the updates might not surprise you.
New 2023 Yamaha YZ125X:
Introduced in 2020, the YZ125X was conceived to bolster Yamaha’s Cross Country lineup while offering passionate two-stroke enthusiasts a dedicated enduro racer. In the first major update for the model, the all-new 2023 YZ125X reflects many of the extensive changes recently rolled out for the current competition-ready YZ125 motocross model, ensuring a high level of performance, but also incorporates a number of additional key modifications aimed specifically at boosting capability for rigorous, long distance, multi-terrain cross country racing. The result is a powerful, featherweight class-leading two-stroke woods racer that represents the ideal step up for young enthusiasts looking to enter into cross country competition or for seasoned riders, a supremely capable, lightweight and reliable two-stroke.
It all starts with a more powerful liquid-cooled 125cc two-stroke engine. Every functional part of the engine is new, including the cylinder, cylinder head, piston, piston pin, connecting rod, crankcase and expansion chamber all adding up to increased power. To enhance the YZ125X’s performance in varied terrain and over long race distances, features including Yamaha Power Valve System (YPVS) characteristics, exhaust timing and compression ratio have been optimized to improve ease-of-use in the low- to mid-rpm range. Further enhancing fueling and power delivery, a new high-precision Hitachi Astemo® Keihin PWK38S carburetor with throttle position sensor and 3D-map-controlled CDI unit provide clean, crisp throttle response. A new intake design with VForce4 carbon reed valve and a straighter intake path result in an improved feeling of power in the high rpm range.
To match increased engine performance, an updated braking system features larger front pistons, more rigid caliper, and a redesigned 270mm front rotor with a 30% increase in pad contact area, all combining to provide exceptional braking power and feel. A redesigned rear rotor maintains the same braking power while dropping outer diameter from 245mm to 240mm, reducing unsprung weight without compromising performance.
Taking the YZ125X’s category-defining suspension and handling characteristics to a new level, front and rear suspension damping has been revised to further improve bump absorption and cornering performance. Best-in-class KYB® suspension includes a fully adjustable Speed Sensitive System 48mm inverted front fork, now with new internals for more precise damping. Revised fully adjustable KYB® rear shock features reduced-friction Kashima Coat™ internals, separate adjusters for high- and low-speed compression damping and a full lock oil rebound system for increased comfort. Additionally, front and rear settings are fine-tuned to handle the types of demanding and varied environments commonly encountered in cross country competition.
To increase rider confidence in challenging conditions, a new flatter seat and more narrow fuel tank design, along with smoothly integrated body panels and slimmer radiator shroud width all combine to enhance freedom of movement forward and back, allowing the rider to easily shift body weight for increased control. Emphasizing its YZ racing pedigree, new front and rear fender design, bold Yamaha Blue and dark blue colorway, and premium embedded graphics provide a sharp, aggressive new look with excellent durability and scratch resistance.
Additional features on the 2023 YZ125X include premium lightweight blue Excel® rims wrapped in high performance Dunlop® Geomax MX33 tires, along with cross country oriented 18-inch rear wheel, larger rear sprocket, standard aluminum side stand, reserve fuel petcock, sealed O-ring chain, and a newly adopted scraper between the fork’s dust and oil seal for improved reliability in rugged conditions. Together, it all adds up to the perfect GNCC® racer straight out of the box.
2023 YZ125X Features & Benefits
- Redesigned liquid-cooled Yamaha Power Valve System (YPVS)-equipped 125cc two-stroke engine boasts more power in the mid- to high-range with cross country-specific tuning to enhance low- to midrange performance
- New high-precision Hitachi Astemo® Keihin PWK38S carburetor features throttle position sensor and 3D-map-controlled CDI unit resulting in crisp throttle response and superior rideability
- New straight intake design with VForce4 carbon reed valve improves power output and controllability in the low- to midrange
- New shorter, lighter muffler
- High performance brake setup features more rigid front caliper, larger front pistons and redesigned rotors with increased pad contact area up front for exceptional stopping power and feel
- Improved rider ergonomics are more narrow with a flatter seat and slimmer radiator shrouds offering greater freedom of movement
- Fully adjustable Speed Sensitive System KYB® inverted front fork with new internals for more precise damping, and a new scraper between the dust and oil seal for improved reliability
- Revised fully adjustable KYB® rear shock features reduced-friction Kashima Coat™ internals
- Front and rear suspension settings optimized for enhanced cross country performance
- Race-proven, forged aluminum semi-double cradle frame
- Removable lightweight aluminum rear subframe constructed of square-section tubing
- Lightweight finely tuned chassis for nimble handling, more control and less rider fatigue
- Revised six-speed, close-ratio transmission has wider transmission gear tooth width and new, optimized gear ratios for maximum performance
- New lightweight rear sprocket design
- Sealed O-ring chain
- High-capacity radiator with dark louvers deliver maximum cooling and aggressive looks
- Lightweight aluminum handlebar with two-position adjustable handlebar clamp
- Adjustable clutch lever with works-style cable adjuster
- New premium graphics are now embedded for improved durability and scratch resistance
- Premium lightweight Excel® rims
- Race-developed Dunlop® Geomax MX33 tires