Tyler Bowers Captures 2011 AMA Arenacross Series Championship on Night Two in Rockford: Patrick Massie Puts Exclamation Point on Lites Championship Weekend
ROCKFORD, Ill. (April 2, 2011) – The second of two nights of action for the penultimate round of the 2011 AMA Arenacross Series commenced on Saturday night from Rockford’s MetroCentre. After an evening of world-class action amongst the fastest arenacross competitors on the planet, the one rider who’s separated himself from the field throughout the season stood atop the podium with the AMA Arenacross Series title.
Babbitt’s Monster Energy/TiLUBE Kawasaki presented by Maxxis’ Tyler Bowers, of Danville, Ky., captured his 11th win of the season en route to securing his first career professional title. After experiencing his worst results of the season over the last two races, Bowers rebounded on Saturday with a strong run in the main event.
Foremost Insurance/Spinechillers/HondaofFairfield.com’s Nathan Skaggs, of Chillicothe, Ohio, took the early lead in the 25-lap main event with Team Faith Yamaha’s Kelly Smith, of Ludington, Ohio, and Bowers in tow. After working his way by Smith, Bowers set his sights on Skaggs and made quick work of his rival, overtaking the top spot for good on Lap 9. He raced to the win over three seconds ahead of his closest championship rival Jeff Gibson, of Blacklick, Ohio, who finished second aboard his TUF Honda. Skaggs held on for third.
The Arenacross Lites Eastern Regional Championship was also in action on Saturday. Just one night after securing the championship, Foremost Insurance/Spinechillers/HondaofFairfield.com’s Patrick Massie, of Washington Court, Ohio, ended his weekend on a high note with an impressive victory over the talented field. After a season of consistency, Massie showed his possession of the number one plate was well deserved with his second win of the 2011 season.
Letko KTM’s Tanner Moore, of Auburn, Kan., kept Massie honest throughout the main event, but settled for second at the end of 18-laps. Privateer Suzuki rider Austin Primavera, of Larue, Ohio, completed a strong weekend effort in third, to go along with his runner-up finish on Friday evening.
The AMA Arenacross Series comes to an exciting conclusion next weekend with its anticipated return to Des Moines, Iowa and Wells Fargo Arena. After serving as the prequel event over the past two seasons, Des Moines will welcome the stars of the sport for their final night of action for 2011 on Saturday, April 9 at 7 p.m. CT.
Arenacross Class Results (Rockford, Ill.)
1. Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki
2. Jeff Gibson, Blacklick, Ohio, Honda
3. Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda
4. Kelly Smith, Ludington, Mich., Yamaha
5. Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki
6. Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Honda
7. Kevin Johnson, Spring, Texas, Yamaha
8. Gray Davenport, Lehi, Utah, Kawasaki
9. Willy Browning, Pleasantville, Ohio, Honda
10. Dano Aulseybrook, Ortonville, Mich., Suzuki
AMA Arenacross Lites Class Results (Rockford, Ill.)
2. Tanner Moore, Auburn, Kan., KTM
3. Austin Primavera, Larue, Ohio, Suzuki
4. Jake Locks, Dixon, Calif., Kawasaki
5. Michael Lang, Saugerties, N.Y., Honda
6. Kenneth Henry, Ashtabula, Ohio, KTM
7. Justin Kelly, Lelumia, Ill., Kawasaki
8. Michael Furlin, Pismo Beach, Calif., Honda
9. Scott Zont, Algonquin, Ill., Honda
10. Brandon Marley, McEwen, Tenn., Honda
Arenacross Class Points (After Race 18 of 19)
1. Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki – 400
2. Jeff Gibson, Blacklick, Ohio, Honda – 364
3. Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki – 356
4. Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Honda – 286
5. Kelly Smith, Ludington, Mich., Yamaha – 275
6. Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda – 269
7. Gray Davenport, Lehi, Utah, Kawasaki – 260
8. Kevin Johnson, Spring, Texas, Yamaha – 218
9. Cory Green, Nowata, Okla., Suzuki – 196
10. Willy Browning, Pleasantville, Ohio, Honda – 191
Eastern Regional Arenacross Lites Class Points (After Race 10 of 11)
1. Patrick Massie, Washington Court, Ohio, Honda – 194
2. Austin Primavera, Larue, Ohio, Suzuki – 114
3. Austin Coon, Spencer, W.V., Honda – 96
4. Adam Gulley, Jonesburg, Mo., Kawasaki – 95
5. Kenneth Henry, Ashtabula, Ohio, KTM – 92
6. Steve Mages, Sardinia, Ohio, Kawasaki – 86
7. Michael Lang, Saugerties, N.Y., Honda – 80
8. Scott Zont, Algonquin, Ill., Honda – 77
9. Tyler Sehr, Belleville, Ill., Honda – 65
10. Jake Locks, Dixon, Calif., Kawasaki – 64
New for 2011! Live timing and scoring from each round of the AMA Arenacross Series. To follow the intense racing action live, log onto www.Arenacross.com. For all media requests, please contact Brandon Short at [email protected] or 949-365-5750.
About Feld Motor Sports®
Feld Motor Sports®, Inc. is the world leader in specialized arena and stadium-based motor sports entertainment. Feld Motor Sports, Inc. productions include Advance Auto Parts Monster Jam®, Monster Energy Supercross, AMA Arenacross Series, Nuclear Cowboyz®, and IHRA® Nitro Jam®. Feld Motor Sports, Inc. is a division of Feld Entertainment, the world’s largest producer of live family entertainment. For more information on Feld Entertainment, visit www.feldentertainment.com.