Taddy on the mend following four-hour operation

KTM rider Taddy Blazusiak is recovering well after undergoing a four-hour operation at the Harborview Medical Centre in Seattle, WA during which time numerous metal plates were attached to both of his cheek bones and left eye socket.

Hitting his face on the handlebars of his bike when he crashed on a
double jump while practicing for the WORCS X event – a race he was competing in as preparation ahead of the second round of the Endurocross series in Oklahoma City, OK, Taddy was initially taken to a local hospital for evaluation before being taken to the Harborview Medical Centre in Seattle, WA. Diagnosed as having numerous broken bones in his face but no problems with either his vision or with concussion Taddy underwent a four-hour operation during which metal plates were attached to his left eye socket and both of his cheekbones.
‘What happened to Taddy sounds very nasty, but we’re hoping that it’s not that bad,’ commented Taddy’s brother Wojtek on Tuesday morning, August 12. ‘Obviously communicating with Taddy is difficult at the moment but he is able to whisper and use his hands, and he has told the doctors that he’s not in too much pain. Taddy broke his nose, both cheek bones and fractured his left eye socket when his face hit his handlebars. The good news is that his vision is fine, he has no concussion and the rest of his body is ok. When he crashed he cut his left eyebrow so the surgeon went in through that cut to fix his eye socket rather than making any new cuts. Taddy also cut his tongue, but that’s fine now he has a few stitches. The plates for his cheekbones went in through his mouth so there wont be any obvious scars.
We’re expecting Taddy to stay in hospital for 24 to 48 hours after the operation and then he will probably remain in the States for a week while the swelling goes down. Taddy wants to get back on a bike as soon as he can, but the doctors have told him that it wouldn’t be a good idea to race next week. Taddy’s in pretty good spirits and we’re hoping that he will be back racing as soon as the swelling in his face has settled down.’

Comments are closed.