PHOTOS AND SPECS OF THE 2005 CRF450X–SEPT 13
Features & Benefits
– Electric start system for easy starting in all conditions.
– California model meets California Air Resources Board (CARB) emission standards.
– Gas tank capacity is 2.27 gallons.
– Resettable, easy-to-read three-digit odometer.
– USDA-qualified muffler/spark arrester.
– Powerful new 35-watt halogen headlight features new lens type for wide range of illumination.
– Integrated LED taillight in rear fender.
– Convenient sidestand integrated into left footpeg bracket can be easily removed for competition events.
– Easy-access air filter.
– Wide-ratio five-speed transmission.
– Suspension and chassis tuned for competitive off-road riding needs.
– 18-inch rear wheel for greater flat-tire protection.
– T-ring sealed chain is narrower, stronger and lighter compared to conventional O-ring chains.
– Skidplate and engine guards feature a unique three-piece design.
– Powerful four-stroke 449cc liquid-cooled four-valve Unicam(r) engine is designed to produce power across a wide rpm band for off-road riding.
– Electric starter drives the clutch side of the crankshaft to provide superior lubrication of starter gears, and produce a narrow engine with a short, strong crankshaft.
– Lightweight, compact, internal auto decompressor system provides superb cold-starting and hot-starting operation.
– Compact, lightweight engine assembly weighs only 71 pounds.
– Unicam valve train provides the light weight of a compact single-cam design and the optimum combustion chamber shape for maximum power at all engine rpm.
– Unicam valve train features a carburized single camshaft that directly actuates two 35mm titanium intake valves. The camshaft exhaust lobe actuates two 30mm steel exhaust valves via a forked, low-friction, roller rocker-arm.
– Lightweight titanium intake valves permit use of smaller valve springs, reducing overall engine height.
– Crankshaft is made of high-strength, low-carbon steel with carburized main journals for maximum durability at sustained high-rpm operation.
– Clutch cover and cylinder head cover are made of magnesium to reduce engine weight.
– Forged 12.0:1 compression slipper piston is lighter than a conventional design, revving quickly while maintaining excellent cylinder sealing and high-rpm power.
– Double-carburized connecting rod utilizes an updated big-end needle bearing and thrust washers for maximum high-rpm performance and durability.
– Nikasil(r) cylinder lining is lightweight and provides cooler and quieter operation for extended engine life.
– Press-fitted aluminum spark plug pipe fits between forked exhaust rocker arms, further contributing to compact cylinder head design.
– 40mm Keihin FCR-type carburetor features four rollers on the flat slide, resulting in very light throttle effort, smooth operation, crisp throttle response and excellent rideability.
– Carburetor features a throttle position sensor (TPS) that helps maintain linear throttle response throughout the rpm range.
– Twin-sump lubrication system separates the oil supply for the crankshaft, piston and valve train from the clutch and transmission. This ensures a cool supply of oil to the clutch, eliminates clutch and transmission material contamination of the engine oil, reduces the amount of circulating oil and permits the use of a smaller oil pump.
– Vertically split crankcases feature a built-in oil pump, reducing weight compared to a conventional design.
– Exhaust system uses a lightweight stainless steel exhaust header and muffler equipped with spark arrester.
– Dual radiators feature a refined core area for improved heat dissipation compared to conventional dual-radiator design. Coolant recovery tank is located in front of the engine between the frame down-tubes for improved center of gravity. Coolant tank is protected by plastic skid plate.
– Gear-driven balancer reduces vibration and drives the water pump. Eight clutch plates provide the surface area necessary to handle the engine’s massive torque, while carefully matched clutch springs provide a light feel at the lever.
– T-ring-sealed chain is approximately 1.6mm narrower, and stronger compared to conventional chains.
– Durable and versatile five-speed wide-ratio transmission.
– All-new fourth-generation twin-spar aluminum frame. Forged aluminum steering head and tapered downtube section are designed to optimize frame rigidity. In addition, tall swingarm pivot plates and narrow frame spars create a narrow overall frame cross-section for superb rider comfort and maneuverability.
– Semi-double-cradle frame design features a single, large-diameter tapered downtube. Two rugged box-section rails attach to the base of the downtube and support the engine. A forged aluminum steering head provides a compact and extremely durable mount for the frame spars and engine downtube.
– The aluminum frame design is matched to rider ergonomics to maximize handling and control operation.
– Swingarm features a dual-axis, double-taper design with a large cast aluminum cross-member offering high strength and light weight.
– 18-inch rear wheel features same lightweight rear hub and HRC(r) works-type lightweight aluminum spoke nipples as used on CRF(r)450R.
– Front wheel features large-diameter front axle and wide wheel-bearing span for excellent rigidity.
– Rear axle diameter of 25mm and large-diameter bearings provide optimum rigidity to withstand torturous off-road conditions.
– Lightweight, 47mm inverted Showa(r) twin-chamber cartridge fork with aluminum dampers is derived from the CRF450R and features settings unique to the CRF450X. The fork offers 12.4 inches of travel, 16-position rebound and 16-position compression damping adjustability. The inner surface of the front fork outer-tubes receives the same honing treatment as works bikes for low-friction operation.
– Pro-Link(r) single-shock rear suspension system features a fully adjustable Showa rear damper and 12.4 inches of wheel travel, separate low-speed (13 positions) and high-speed (3.5 turns) compression damping adjusters, and 17-position rebound damping.
– Rear shock damper piston diameter is 50mm for consistent performance under demanding riding conditions.
– Compact twin-piston front brake caliper, anodized aluminum brake pistons and lightweight front brake disc minimize unsprung weight for improved turning and handling.
– HRC works-type rear brake system integrates the rear master cylinder and fluid reservoir, eliminating the need for a remote master cylinder reservoir and hose assembly.
– 240mm front and rear brake discs.
– All plastic body components (radiator shroud, side covers, rear fender, seat base, fuel tank, front fender, and front headlight) are designed for slimmer, more aggressive styling and light weight.
– Airbox features easy access to reusable foam air filter.
– Rider ergonomics are optimized by adapting the handlebar, seat and footpeg height to place the rider’s legs at the narrowest cross-section of the frame for improved comfort and handling feel.
– Seat cushion uses foam construction that follows the shape of the fuel tank, providing a smooth transition to increase rider mobility and comfort.
– ‘Non-slip’ seat cover for increased rider
– Rear brake pedal and shift lever are made of lightweight aluminum and are designed to complement the riding position. Brake pedal features optimized ratio to match integrated rear-brake master cylinder design.
– Wide, cleated stainless steel footpegs are self-cleaning, resist corrosion, provide excellent grip and fold for extra ground clearance.
– Aluminum Renthal handlebar (971 bend) is rubber-mounted to reduce rider fatigue and improve comfort.
– CR handlebar holders provide three different mounting positions: standard CRF450X holder (CRF450R/CR125R/CRF250R-type) provides +/- 3mm fore or aft position to match rider preference, and optional holder (CR250R-type) provides neutral position.
– Works-type handlebar grips add to rider comfort.
– Adjustable front brake lever.
– Hot-start lever conveniently located on clutch perch.
– Quick-adjust clutch perch.
– Chain guide material offers durable wear resistance, and service life is five times greater than conventional materials.
– Front disc brake cover helps protect rotor and caliper from damage.
– Removable rear subframe allows easy maintenance.
– Washable, two-stage foam air filter for optimal engine protection and easy maintenance.
– Comfortable, durable controls and high-quality fasteners.
– Stainless steel clutch cable for long life.
– Honda Racing-inspired colors and graphics.
– Ownership includes one-year complimentary membership in the Honda Rider’s Club of America(tm) (HRCA(r)). Benefits include: discounts, travel benefits, roadside assistance for off-road bike transport vehicle while motorcycle is being transported, one year complimentary subscription to Honda Red Rider(tm) magazine, access to HRCA Clubhouse Web site (www.hrca.honda.com), access online to Honda Common Service Manual. For HRCA details, call 1-800-847-HRCA. For dealers only, please call (310) 783-3958.
Engine Type: 449cc liquid-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke
Bore and Stroke: 96mm x 62mm
Compression Ratio: 12.0:1
Valve Train: Unicam; four-valve
Carburetion: Keihin 40mm flat-slide with throttle position sensor (TPS)
Ignition: CD with electronic advance and lighting coil
Starting: Electric & kick
Transmission: Wide-ratio five-speed
Final Drive: #520 T-ring-sealed chain; 13T/51T
Wheelbase: 58.2 inches
Rake (Caster Angle): 27.28?
Trail: 112.8mm (4.4 inches)
Seat Height: 37.9 inches
Ground Clearance: 13.7 inches
Dry Weight: 255 pounds
Fuel Capacity: 2.27 gallons
Consult owner’s manual for optional racing parts.