MORGANTOWN, W.V. (May 28, 2009) – This Saturday, May 30, the Dirt Diggers North Motorcycle ClubTM are bringing even more excitement to the new look of American Motocross, as the 41st running of the Hangtown Motocross Classic is scheduled to start at 1pm. In conjunction with Prairie City SVRA, the Hangtown Motocross ClassicTM serves as the most tenured circuit of the Lucas Oil AMA Pro Motocross Championship, as well as the second round of the 2009 series.
Hangtown hosted its first professional motocross race in 1968 and has been a part of the AMA Pro Motocross Championship since 1974. Always looking to keep the world’s best riders on their toes, The Dirt Diggers have made several changes to the 2009 layout, with a return to the counterclockwise track direction being the most significant.
Last weekend, the 2009 Lucas Oil AMA Pro Motocross Championship started in spectacular fashion at Glen Helen Raceway in San Bernardino, Calif. Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Ryan Villopoto joined the history books by becoming just the third rider to ever win in his premier class debut while Rockstar/Makita Suzuki’s Chad Reed made an impressive return to the series after a two-year absence. Additionally, JGRMX/Toyota/Yamaha’s Josh Grant and Rockstar/Makita Suzuki’s Mike Alessi ran out front to give a taste of whats in store for the remainder of the championship battle.
In the 250 class, Ryan Dungey overcame a pair of mid-pack starts to claim victory. Dungey outran the European invasion of Christophe Pourcel, Tyla Rattray and Tommy Searle, who finished second through fourth, to carry the points lead and early momentum into Sacramento this weekend.
Also making their debut were the competitors of the Women’s Class of the Lucas Oil Motocross Championship. Reigning champion Ashley Fiolek made her maiden voyage for Honda Red Bull Racing count with a sweep of the day’s motos while rival Jessica Patterson followed closely in second.
In an effort to bring the fans closer to the action and make this year’s Hangtown Motocross ClassicTM a truly interactive event, the Dirt Diggers are adding additional seating. With the ever-growing popularity of the race, a continued effort is made to accommodate the motocross faithful in Northern California.
Prior to Saturday’s festivities, Hangtown will invite all fans to attend the Monster Energy® Fan Fest on Friday evening. The Joe Gibbs Racing and Honda Red Bull Racing teams featuring Josh Grant, Cody Cooper, Andrew Short, Davi Millsaps, Ivan Tedesco and Women’s Champion Ashley Fiolek will be in attendance, signing autographs for everyone who’s looking to get a sneak preview of the national. Zero Motorcycle demonstrations will also take place, showcasing the future of motocross with battery-operated dirt bikes.
In addition, the 9th Annual Monster Energy® MX Crossover, featuring the Java Monster Media Throw Down, will feature a celebrity special event featuring extreme sports athletes from dirt, snow, and ramps. Multi time – X Games gold medalist Shaun Palmer and two-time Olympian Daron Rahlves lead a star-studded lineup that will be providing their support of the event by interacting with the fans and competing in one-off, two-moto race, as well as signing autographs throughout the weekend.
In light of the CSPCA youth lead-ban and the threatening efforts of the closure of thousands of acres of riding areas, the Dirt Diggers North Motorcycle ClubTM will invite members of several local city councils, surrounding mayors, senators, and members of congress to be a part of an ongoing dignitary effort, showcasing the need for off-highway vehicle parks.
General Admission for Thursday-Friday
Kids (6-11 years) $11.50
5 and under FREE
Saturday Only Tickets
Kids (6-11 years) $21.72
5 and under FREE
South Point Hotel & Casino Motocross National from Glen Helen Results
450 Class (Moto Finish)
1. Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, Wash., Kawasaki (1-1)
2. Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., Suzuki (3-2)
3. Josh Grant, Riverside, Calif., Yamaha (2-4)
4. Chad Reed, Australia, Suzuki (4-3)
5. Davi Millsaps, Tallahassee, Fla., Honda (6-5)
6. Thomas Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Kawasaki (7-6)
7. Mike Brown, Bluff City, Tenn., KTM (8-7)
8. Cody Cooper, New Zealand, Yamaha (11-12)
9. Weston Peick, Wildomar, Calif., Honda (13-11)
10. Andrew Short, Smithville, Tex., Honda (5-21)
250 Class (Moto Finish)
1. Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki (2-1)
2. Christophe Pourcel, France, Kawasaki (1-7)
3. Tyla Rattray, South Africa, Kawasaki (5-2)
4. Tommy Searle, England, KTM (4-4)
5. Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda (3-8)
6. Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda (9-3)
7. Brett Metcalfe, Lake Elsinore, Calif., Honda (7-6)
8. Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki (6-9)
9. Austin Stroupe, Lincolnton, N.C., Kawasaki (13-5)
10. Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, Texas, Honda (8-10)
Women’s Class of the Lucas Oil Motocross Championship (Moto Finish)
1. Ashley Fiolek, St. Augustine, Fla., Honda (1-1)
2. Jessica Patterson, Tallahassee, Fla., Honda (3-2)
3. Sherri Cruse, Bakersfield, Calif., Suzuki (5-3)
4. Vicki Golden, El Cajon, Calif., Honda (4-4)
5. Sara Price, Canyon Lake, Calif., Kawasaki (2-5)
6. Elizabeth Bash, Riverside, Calif., Kawasaki (6-7)
7. Tatum Sik, Temecula, Calif., Suzuki (7-8)
8. Sayaka Kaneshiro, Torrance, Calif., Suzuki (8-12)
9. Penni Cyrus, Queens Creek, Ariz., Kawasaki (9-10)
10. Sarah Whitmore, Cheboygan, Mich., KTM (10-9)
For more information about the Hangtown Motocross ClassicTM, log onto www.hangtownracing.com.