Team USA’s Kurt Caselli onboard a KTM 300 charged in the desert-like conditions on day one of the ISDE Six Days Enduro in La Serena Chile. Caselli in the E3-class completed day one with a 13.222 second advantage over Frenchman Johnny Aubert (E2) with E1 world champion and KTM Enduro Factory Team rider Juha Salminen (E2) in third place overall, 13:786 behind the leader. Salminen is the defending champion. Top E1 rider on day one was Spanish rider Cristobal Guerrero.
Caselli sped through the day’s six tests on his KTM 300 XC-E to post the fastest accumulated time overall, besting the best riders in the world by just over five seconds. According to Kurt the terrain was similar to the California desert where he grew up so conquering that the fast, dry terrain came naturally.
In the team competition Team USA is in ninth in World Trophy (six riders), even after Caselli’s incredible performance. France leads with Finland 11.08 seconds behind and Italy one minute, 23.80 seconds back in third.
In the Junior World Trophy team standings (four riders under 24 years old), Spain leads by 1:29.28 over France with Italy third, 2:14.52 behind. The U.S. four some is in eighth. First-year Junior member David Kamo showed his desert-racing experience by being the best of the Americans with Russell Bobbitt, the only returning member from last year’s winning team, second best for the day.
World Trophy (National Teams)
1. France, 2. Finland, 3. Italy, 4. Sweden, 5. United Kingdom
Day One Overall Individual results
1. Kurt Casseli, USA KTM (E3)
2. Johnny Aubert, France, Aubert, Yamaha (E2)
3. Juha Salminen, Finland, KTM (E2)
4. Cristobal Guerrero, Spain, Yamaha (E1)
5. Alessandro Belometti, Italy, KTM (E2)
6. Marko Tarkkala, Finland, KTM (E3)
7. Jari Mattila, Finland, KTM (E1)
8. Fabien Planet, France, KTM (E3)
Day One E1 Results
1. Cristobal Guerrero, Spain, Yamaha
2. Jari Mattila, Finland, KTM
3. Julien Gaulthier, Honda
4. Greg Evans, Britain, KTM
5. Peter Bergwall, Sweden, KTM
Day One E2 Results
1. Johnny Aubert, France, Yamaha
2. Juha Salminen, Finland, KTM
3. Alessandro Belometti, Italy, KTM
4. Joakim Ljunggren, Sweden, Husaberg
5. Dini Fabrizio, Italy, Yamaha
Day One E3 Results
1. Kurt Casselli, USA, KTM
2. Marko Tarkkala, Finland, KTM
3. Fabien Planet, France, KTM
4. Bjorne Carlsson, Sweden, Husaberg
5. Alessandro Botturi, Honda, Italy