My dad, Jonny, and I left Thursday afternoon and were planning on staying in a hotel about halfway to the race. At 10:00 that night, we were having a tough time finding a hotel. We found ourselves driving from town to town until we found one. It took us until 1:00 am before we finally found a small hole-in-the-wall hotel to stay at, but by then we didn’t care because we just wanted to go to sleep. Seven hours later, we were back on the road and made it to the race around noon. I did some riding before we arrived at the race site, because they didn’t want us out by the course. My KX feels really good and I think tomorrow should be great. They’ve been getting some rain off and on and tomorrow the weather man says were supposed to be getting snow storms.

Race Day:
Well, the weather man was right for a change! It’s been snowing on a lot of the course with rain on the lower part (around 5,000 feet). Last year I had some bad luck at the Utah H&H rounds, but they are usually my favorite H&H races.

The race started at 11:30 by the sand dunes. The bomb took off and went right into the dunes and then started to make it’s way up in elevation. I had a pretty good start, and was running third going into the dunes. David Pearson was leading, followed by Russ Pearson in second. A couple of miles out, I was able to get by Russ and right on David. The conditions were pretty perfect by the start of the race and the three of us were all staying pretty close.

I followed David for the next couple of miles, and then made the pass to take the lead just before it started raining on us. As we were making our way up the fun technical mountains, it started to get really slick in some spots. I was able to get a nice gap on the rest of the guys so they couldn’t key off of me. I was feeling really good and kept pushing it until it started snowing. And when I say snowing, I mean snowing:)

It was coming down really good and you could tell it had been snowing all night in the mountains. It was actually a lot of fun but you had to be really smart otherwise you would be pulling yourself out of some trees. Right around the halfway mark, (22-miles) on the first loop, we were really high and it was pretty wild to just see white everywhere. I was a little nervous however, because the rocks were buried under the snow. I’ve ridden and raced in snow before, but this is by far the most I’ve ever been in. Back home in Phoenix, I don’t get to many opportunities to practice snow riding:).

Actually a few days ago it was almost 95 degrees and I was thinking this is way to hot, but now I’m in Utah saying this is way to cold. The bad part about some of the tree sections was the snow hanging on the branches. Every time I rubbed next to them, I would get a big lap of cold snow. I’m not really complaining it was still a lot of fun.

The scariest part for me was, on the first loop, when I hit a cow. It’s not as bad as you would think, but we did hit and I bounced off of him or her. There was a big herd of them running on this jeep road, and I was trying to make my way by when one decided to make a left hand turn on a straight away (what was he thinking). Luckily I only hit the side of him and we bounced off each other with me doing a little swap, but it was a good save. For all you animal lovers out there, you’ll be happy to know that the cow is fine besides a new FMF brand on his side:)

At the 47-mile marker I made my first pit stop. It was pretty fast and I made sure I grabbed a new pair of the Scott Roll-Off goggles. Going out on the second loop, I wanted to make sure I stayed charging and didn’t give anyone a chance to catch me. Everything was still working great and most important, I kept it up on two wheels the rest of the way.

The second loop (36-miles) put us back into the snowing mountains with some more fun technical stuff. I ended up taking the win and had some room to spare. I really felt like I rode good today, and the KX worked perfect again. The Sage Riders did a great job with the course, especially with the snow they had to deal with. They also did a great job with the markings. I would say this course was one of the best H&H’s I’ve ever raced.

1st Destry Abbott
2nd Russell Pearson
3rd David Pearson
4th Kendall Norman
5th Steve Hengeveld ?

Other Notes:
Scott goggles just sent me their new goggle system. It’s called the Works system and it’s by far the nicest setup you can get. It was nice to have great roll-off’s during the race.

I also raced with Thor’s riding Jacket (and a couple of jersey’s) which felt really good and kept the rain and snow off of me.

On race day I was told the high was in the 30’s and I know in the mountains it was a lot colder. I’m looking forward to my 90 degrees again:)LOL

My next race is the WORCS race in Idaho this weekend. Let’s hope I can keep this win streak going!

Best Wishes,

2005 Sponsors:
Kawasaki, FMF, Thor, Dunlop, ACME, Kawasaki Acc., Scott, SIDI, CTI2, Motion Pro, Bent, Works Connection, Hinson, IMS, Scott’s Performance, Jonre.com, Cyto Sport, Acerbis, BRP, Pro Clean 1000, Trick, Varner, ZLT, Sprocket Specialist, DP Pads, Shoei, UNI, American Racing Wheels, RK/Excel, 909, Wiseco, Motorex, N-style, V-Force, and Twisten Wrenches.


Comments are closed.